keywords: cryptosporidium, diarrhoea, faeces, HIV/AIDS, Ziehl-Neelsen
Cryptosporidiosis is a diarrheal disease caused by the protozoan parasite Cryptosporidium which affects a wide range of animals and humans. Despite the seemingly ubiquitous nature of cryptosporidiosis, sufficient attention has not been paid to it,and it continues to be a major opportunistic infection and an important cause of morbidity and mortality in persons living with HIV/AIDS in developing countries. Owing to the paucity of the information on this emerging zoonotic infection in Adamawa state, this study was undertaken to investigate the prevalence of Cryptosporidium among HIV/AIDS patients attending HottageHospital Mayo Belwa Local Government Area, Adamawa State. Random feacal samples were collected from 80 consented and willing HIV/AIDS (both males and females) patients of different age groups who presented diarrhoea as well as those not with diarrhoea. The samples were collected in screw capped specimen bottles after introductory letter was duly obtained. The samples were examined using Ziehl-Neelsen technique.Out of the 80 HIV/AIDS patients screened for cryptosporidiosis, 35 (40 %) were males, remaining 45(60 %) were females. The results showed that females (22.22%) had high prevalence as compared to the males (17.14%). The age range of 45years and above, had higher prevalence rate of 66.67% and 60% over the lower age range 16-45yaers 33.33% and 40% respectively at P= 0.731. Cryptosporidiosis was not observed among children within the age range 05-15years.A significant prevalence percentage (20%) was obtained from this study. It therefore recommended that findings obtained from this study can be used in establishing base line information and for implementing control/prevention intervention against cryptosporidium infections affecting the individuals specifically the vulnerable group (HIV patients) in Mayo-Belwa Adamawa State.